At Lakeshore Dental in Detroit Occlusal mouth guards are offered as a removable dental instrument that covers one or both arches when participating in contact sports or other active activities.
Request a Consultation
What are Occlusal Mouth Guards?
Occlusal guards are far more comfortable and effective than over the counter splints at your local drugstore.
We work with you to customize your mouthguard using the latest technology. The process begins with a digital scan of your teeth and surrounding gums. The information is transmitted to a local lab along with the colors of choice. Within a week or so, you will receive your personalized mouthguard and be ready for action.
Occlusal guards can also be used for teeth grinding, a common issue that affects about 10% of people, including up to 15% of children. Also known as bruxism, teeth grinding can range from mild to severe. The causes for teeth grinding can include stress, sleep disorders, and an abnormal bite.
At Detroit’s Lakeshore Dental Specialists, prevention is paramount. There is the risk of accidental trauma from contact sports when you participate in hockey, football, boxing, lacrosse, and soccer. Wearing a mouthguard protects you from a surprise blow to your head or neck.
Symptoms of teeth grinding
Here are some of the signs that you may be experiencing teeth grinding:
- Worn, chipped, or flattened teeth
- Fractured teeth
- Sensitive teeth
- Frequent toothaches and/or facial pain
- Jaw pain or tightness
- Headache or earache from muscle contractions pain in your jaw
- Tongue tenderness
- Insomnia: the difficulty falling or staying asleep
Top 10 benefits of occlusal guards
Wearing an occlusal guard can provide many advantages, including:
- Prevent tooth damage when participating in contact sports or grinding your teeth, especially while asleep
- Ward off toothache or headaches
- Can be customized to align your teeth and bite
- Decrease tension in your jaw joints and muscles
- Improve the quality of sleep through muscle relaxation
- Prevent snoring
- Enhance breathing while asleep
- Stays firmly in place during activities
- Durable and resilient
- Easy to clean
Contact our office today to request an appointment or click below to book online. A team member will reach out to confirm your appointment.
18501 E 8 Mile Rd, Eastpointe, MI 48021